Delicious, fresh and tasty.
Basic Sponge Cake.
You can have Basic Sponge Cake using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Basic Sponge Cake
- Prepare 3-4 of Eggs *room temperature, separated Whites and Yolks.
- Prepare of *Note: You don't have to separate the Eggs. (See Step 4).
- You need 90 g (100 ml) of Caster Sugar.
- Prepare 90 g (150 ml) of Plain Flour OR Self-Raising Flour.
- It's of *Note: For silky texture sponge, use 70g (120ml) Flour and 2 tablespoons Corn Starch Flour.
- It's 20 g of Butter *melted.
- It's 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla *optional.
Basic Sponge Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 170℃. Line the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper..
- If you use Corn Starch Flour, blend it with Wheat Flour..
- Using an electric mixer, whisk Egg Whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Add Sugar gradually and whisk until firm peaks form. Then add Egg Yolks and whisk until well combined..
- *Yolks & Whites Together: If you don’t want to seperate the Eggs, or you accidentally failed to separate, do not worry. You can whisk whole Eggs with Sugar. Make sure Eggs are NOT COLD. Whisk whole Eggs with Sugar until thick and pale..
- *Cold Eggs: To use cold Eggs straight away, place cracked whole Eggs in a bowl and place the bowl over warm to hot water. Once Eggs are warm, add Sugar and whisk until thick and pale. Make sure the mixture won’t get too warm as too much heat will cook the Eggs..
- Gradually sift Flour over the egg mixture while folding in with a large spoon, then add melted Butter and Vanilla (*optional), mix until just combined..
- Pour the mixture into the tin and gently drop it on the bench a few times to remove bubbles in the mixture. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cakes springs back when gently touched..
- Turn out on a wire rack. Carefully peel away baking paper, then leave to cool..